This was something I left until the last week before my party, because as much as I love Harry, and I love doing trivia quizzes – coming up with the questions myself? I hated it! And I would Google for questions and would come up with such a range of movie/book easy/hard questions, in the end I decided to split the trivia into three parts – easy, medium and hard. Honestly, for someone like me, these were all ridiculously too easy. 😛 But I had to account for the fact that many of my guests had only seen the films, and some family members had seen none at all. So I began with the easy – multiple choice questions that anyone could answer or guess at – no excuses (admittedly I did take the chance to make a few of these hard – multiple choice, come on!). The medium questions would have been answerable by anyone that had paid attention to all the movies, and the hard questions were optional for additional points for the hardcore fans. Don’t want to come up with your own questions? Check out the ones I used below! Answers will be at the end of each section in case you want to quiz yourself.
1. In Philosopher’s Stone, how does Hagrid bring Harry to #4 Privet Drive?
b. Floo Powder
c. By motorcycle
d. He doesn’t, Dumbledore does
2. What is Professor Gilderoy Lockhart’s favourite colour?
a. Ocean blue
3. Who did the Sorting Hat originally belong to?
a. Salazar Slytherin
b. Albus Dumbledore
c. The first Headmaster of Hogwarts
d. Godric Gryffindor
4. What frees Dobby?
a. A diary
b. A key
c. A smelly sock
d. A penknife that can open any lock
5. What colour is the Knight Bus?
6. What spells does Mad-Eye Moody demonstrate in the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom?
a. The 3 Forbidden Curses
b. The 3 Illegal Curses
c. The 3 Unforgiveable Curses
d. The 3 Unjustified Curses
7. What is Luna Lovegood’s patronus?
8. Which characters share the same day and month of death?
a. Gregory Goyle and Lavender Brown
b. Cedric Diggory and Barty Crouch Junior
c. Peter Pettigrew and Griphook
d. Nearly Headless Nick and James and Lily Potter
9. Who of the following is not a member of the Slug Club?
a. Blaise Zabini
b. Draco Malfoy
c. Cormac McLaggen
d. Ginny Weasley
10. Before Harry gains control of it, who is the master of the Elder Wand?
a. Albus Dumbledore
b. Severus Snape
c. Draco Malfoy
d. Lord Voldemort
1 – C; 2 – D; 3 – D; 4 – C; 5 – B; 6 – C; 7 – A; 8 – D; 9 – B; 10 – C
11. What is Dumbledore’s full name?
12. Name everyone in the Weasley family.
13. Draw a picture of the Deathly Hallows symbol. Identify the three components.
14. What dragon does Fleur have to fight in the first task of the Triwizard Tournament?
15. What is the name of the Weasley’s Twins’ Joke Shop and where is it located?
16. Name the spell used to produce fire.
17. How many lives are saved when Harry and Hermione use the time turner to go back in time? Who are they?
18. What primary position does Ginny Weasley play in Quidditch?
19. What brand of car does Mr Weasley purchase and bewitch to make it fly? What other muggle items does he collect?
20. Name 5 Death Eaters.
11 – Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore; 12 – Arthur, Molly, Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred, George, Ron, Ginny; 13 – The triangle for the invisibility cloak, the circle for the resurrection stone, the line for the elder wand; 14 – Common Welsh Green; 15 – Weasley Whizard Wheezes in Diagon Alley; 16 – Incendio; 17 – Two, Sirius Black and Buckbeak; 18 – Chaser; 19 – Ford Anglia, plugs and batteries; 20 – Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy, Greyback, Amycus and Alecto Carrow, Barty Crouch Jnr, Bellatrix Lestrange, Scabior, Yaxley. Full List.
21. How many knuts are in a sickle and how many sickles are in a galleon?
22. How much does a Firebolt cost?
23. What is the number one must dial to get into the Ministry of Magic from the visitor’s entrance?
24. Name 5 creatures studied in Care of Magical Creatures.
25. Name the jinx that is capable of slowing down an object or individual, effectively immobilizing them for a short period of time.
26. What food did Dumbledore order during the Yule Ball?
27. The Three Brothers come from what pureblood family? Bonus points: What are their names?
28. What are the four colour-coded candies in the Weasley Skiving Snackboxes, sweets to make you ill and get you out of class?
29. Name 7 Hufflepuffs.
30. In Philosopher’s Stone, before the Start of Term feast, Dumbledore welcomes the school and has a few short words to say. What are they?
21 – 29 knuts in a sickle, 17 sickles in a galleon; 22 – Unknown, price on request; 23 – 62442 “MAGIC”; 24 – Hippogriffs, Flobberworms, Salamanders, Blast-Ended Skrewts, Nifflers, Unicorns, Thestrals, Bowtruckles, Crups, Fire Crabs, Knarls, Kneazles, Porlocks; 25 – Impedimenta; 26 – Pork chops ; 27 – Antioch, Cadmus and Ignotus Peverell; 28 – Puking Pastilles, Nosebleed Nougats, Fever Fudge and Fainting Fancies; 29 – Helga Hufflepuff, Fat Friar, Prof Sprout, Prof Kettleburn, Newt Scamander, Tonks, Cedric, Ernie, Justin, Hannah, Susan, Zacharias, Leanne; 30 – Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!